Sunday, May 29, 2011

Granola Addiction

Sad Fact: I’ve been really lazy today. I finally got myself off the couch and onto the comfy chair outdoors. At least I can say I spent time outside today.



Fun Fact: I’m not unhealthy. I’m really not. I just happen to talk about the one indulgent dessert I eat a week. (Okay… I’ve eaten a few sweets this week. It’s tough working in a restaurant with shelves and shelves of baked goods. But during the school year it’s once a week!)


I could be like my boyfriend and consider a hot dog cooked in butter and hot sauce a decent meal. You think I’m kidding. But I’m not.


I’m actually surprisingly healthy. So today I’ll share with you a more accurate portrayal of the day-to-day eatings of me.


Almost every morning I eat plain greek yogurt with granola and sliced banana in it, drizzled with honey. Typically I eat Kashi Honey Almond Flax granola but after my recent kitchen experiment, I’ve turned to a new home-made granola.


Well, they were supposed to be granola bars but they turned out a little crumbly. Easy fix, not to worry. And it wasn’t a complete failure - when I cut the bars with a sharp knife, they came out great! But when I used a dull spatula, they crumbled. Outcome? A few granola bars and a nice container of granola! What’s best is it tasted great both ways!


These granola bars only have 5 ingredients! Very easy, yet very yummy.


Peanut Butter Chocolate Granola Bars

Source: Handle The Heat


4 cups rolled oats

½ cup unsalted beanuts, chopped

¾ cup natural peanut butter

½ cup honey

½ cup chocolate chips


Preheat over to 350. In a large bowl, combine oats, and peanuts. Add honey and peanut butter, mix to combine.



Add in chocolate chips and stir to evenly distribute. If mixture is still too dry (this can depend on your ingredients) add more peanut butter or honey 1 tablespoon at a time until moistened. [this is why mine were so crumbly - add more honey to make it more moist]


Using a spatula or your hands, press dough evenly in a greased (non-stick spray) 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes.





I used more peanut butter than recommended… next time I would use a little more honey and a little less peanut butter.



I hope you're addicted to granola like I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment