Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Recipe To Make Up For My Slacking

I have been slacking lately.  Like really slacking.  I've thought about updating the blog almost every day for a month and failed miserably.  I apologize.  But I know that once you see this recipe I'm posting, you will instantly forgive me.


In case I haven't made this clear, I love bacon. LOVE bacon.  I love bacon so much that when I was very young, my mother's friend whose family owns a pig farm gave me fresh bacon as a birthday present. I LOVE bacon.  


Side note number 1: My boyfriend recently(ish) informed me that there is bacon flavored vodka.  I'm still iffy about this, but I am going to try it because I'd just be crazy if I didn't. Check it out. I'll update you on the situation.


Side note number 2: The TV is on in the background and Kevin Bacon was just on HAHA... I laughed out loud.


Okay.  My french toast recipe today does not have bacon in it... but it must be served with bacon.  If you don't serve it with bacon, I will be very, very upset. and sad. and cry. So serve it with bacon.  I made this today when my sister and her boyfriend came to Connecticut for brunch (at 1:00...whatever).  My mom made some delicious potatoes (with bacon and peppers in it) and a side of bacon and fresh fruit.  And still, that wasn't too much bacon.  I would eat it again now if I could. 


Side note number 3: The restaurant I work at just got jalapeno infused bacon.  Inexplicably delicious.


Enough with the side notes and on to the recipe.  


I got the recipe from here and changed a few things to my liking.


Vanilla (Spiced) Rum French Toast
Yields 8ish servings

1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
6 large eggs
4 tablespoons sugar
2 (or a little more) tablespoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 tablespoons of Captain Morgan (or any other spiced rum)
Pinch or 2 of salt
Sliced Bread of your choice


In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, rum, and salt.


Dip bread in the egg mixture for a minute and throw on the lightly oiled and heated griddle.  Cook the bread for 2-4 minutes on each side or until the French Toast is light golden brown.


SERVE WITH BACON.  Maybe even crumble the bacon on top.  And have a few slices on the side.


No picture.  So, so sorry.  It's in my tummy.  Next time I eat it I'll post a pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment